Christopher R. Bruce
Divorce and Family Law Attorney
“There’s an exceptional commitment to helping women navigate through the challenges of a divorce and finding their own voice.”
I am a native of Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. I married another lawyer after swearing I never would, and now my wife and I are the proud parents of two young children. Outside of the office, and spending time with my family, my passion is saltwater fishing and marine conservation.
I am a Marital & Family Law Specialist(Florida Bar Board Certified). My law practice for nearly my entire legal career has been focused on representing clients through complicated divorce, alimony, and child custody cases in West Palm Beach and the surrounding South Florida area. Typically when I am involved there is the need to confront a difficult or intimidating person, an important long-term support claim, business valuation or asset tracing issue, or a serious issue involving children.
My goal is to obtain a favorable result for my clients as quickly and efficiently as possible so they can move on to the life they desire and deserve to be living.
I am a divorce litigator. I believe that in many instances the shortest and optimal path to favorably resolving complex family disputes with difficult people requires strategic litigation. I represent my clients through all stages of this process, including at trial, and in Florida’s appellate courts.
That said, I try to avoid inflaming sensitive family situations. When in a client’s best interest I work to resolve matters through early negotiations and alternative dispute resolution options.
While I represent men and women, I focus my practice on helping female clients through divorces from controlling, manipulative, and narcissistic type husbands. These cases are exceptionally challenging on multiple levels. I strive to take on these representations because I know my female clients will have a dramatically improved and transformed-for-the-better life once their divorce is over. Knowing that I am the lead on facilitating this type of life transformation for my clients is professionally rewarding, and is what motivates me each day to continue immersing myself in my law practice.
I am the author of multiple books on divorce law and process, including several books focused on helping women prepare for and successfully navigate a difficult divorce. You can view and download all of my books for free at www.DivorceInformationBooks.com, and the books are also on Amazon.com.
You can gain an in-depth understanding of my approach to creating effective divorce law strategies in my divorce law practice (as well as an in-depth divorce strategy education) by reading the books, articles, webinars, and forums available on this website. You can click here to start your divorce education.
Education & Prior Affiliations
As far as education goes, I graduated, with Honors, from the Florida State University College of Law. During law school I was President of the Moot Court Appellate Advocacy team, a member of the Journal of Land Use and Environmental Law, and the recipient of five “highest grade” awards.
Before law school, I earned an Accounting Degree from the University of Florida, where I was a member of the Alpha Kappa Psi Business Fraternity. While in accounting school, I interned in the Tax Department of Ernst & Young, a “Big Four” international accounting firm. I was also a licensed Florida insurance agent and intern with Northwestern Mutual, a large-scale financial services company.
I started my legal career by clerking and then working as an associate lawyer with the international law firm of Edwards, Angell, Palmer & Dodge, which is now known as Locke Lord, LLP. From there, I had the outstanding opportunity to practice divorce and family law with Matthew Nugent and Adam Zborowski. During the last five years of our seven and a half years together we practiced in partnership, under the firm name Nugent Zborowski & Bruce.
Legal Writing & Committee Service
When I am not in my office, with my family, or fishing, I participate in the local family law chapter of the American Inns of Court, a national legal ethics organization. I have previously served as a member of the Professionalism Committee of the Palm Beach County Bar Association and as secretary of the Publications Committee of the Florida Bar Family Law Section.
I have authored six books on divorce and divorce strategy, all of which are available for free download by clicking the links below:
- Control Your Difficult Divorce
- How to Divorce Your Controlling, Manipulative, Narcissistic Husband
- Florida Divorce Law Guide
- The Women’s Guide to Getting Organized for Divorce
- How to Find, Hire, & Work with Your Divorce Lawyer
- The Best Divorce
In addition to my books on divorce and divorce strategy, I frequently publish articles on current topics in Florida Divorce Law and I have served as a resource to news agencies reporting on Florida divorce issues. My articles have appeared in the South Florida Daily Business Review, Palm Beach County Bar Bulletin, and other Florida Bar publications.
- Attempt to Modify Alimony During 2012 Legislative Session Fails: South Florida Daily Business Review, April 11, 2012
- Divorce, Family Law Attorney Busts Alimony Reform Myths: South Florida Daily Business Review, October 19, 2012
Attorney’s Fees in Divorce Cases:
- Attorney’s Fee Awards Reduced for Unnecessary Litigation: Palm Beach County Bar Bulletin, October 2012
- Temporary Attorney’s Fee Awards: Palm Beach County Bar Bulletin, February 2013
- Trend Towards Reducing Attorney’s Fee Awards for Meritless Litigation: South Florida Daily Business Review, April 3, 2013
- Interpretation of Defaulting Party Attorney Fee Clauses: Palm Beach County Bar Bulletin, June 2013
Grandparent & Relative Custody:
- How Grandparents & Relatives Can Obtain Custody of a Child: Palm Beach County Bar Bulletin, October 2013
Jurisdiction in Child Custody Cases:
- Chapter 742 & The UCCJEA: Is Childbirth an Unbridled Key to Forum Shopping?: Florida Bar Journal , January 2012
Testimony & Reports of Psychologists & Counselors:
- What Every Divorce Attorney Should Know When Evaluating a Forensic Psychologist’s Report: Commentator, Florida Bar Family Law Section , Fall 2012
- The Patient-Psychotherapist Privilege in Child Custody Cases: Palm Beach County Bar Bulletin, November 2013
- Same Sex Divorce May Depend on State’s Definition of Marriage: South Florida Daily Business Review, June 8, 2012
Setting Aside a Divorce Judgment:
- Setting Aside a Divorce Judgment: Palm Beach County Bar Bulletin, September 2013
I am looking forward to counseling you through your marital or family law matter. For more information about my background, or to schedule a divorce consultation and strategy session, please call the Bruce Law Firm, P.A. at (561) 810-0170.